When available, jobs and internships will be posted here.
Jobs & Internships
Knockdown Center seeks a dynamic part-time Programs Assistant to support the Director of Exhibitions and Live Art on gallery management and exhibition support, to assist the Marketing Manager with a range of duties from social media to flyer design, in addition to general administrative and operational support. The ideal candidate should be comfortable interacting with diverse publics, opening and closing a gallery space, maintaining a wordpress-based website, creating content (both written and with graphics), and office work.
This position offers an exciting opportunity for an individual to build upon existing skills in marketing, design, gallery management, and arts administration.
Candidates should have an interest in music and/or contemporary art and knowledge of New York City’s music and/or art scene; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, design and photography skills preferred.
Position is 35 – 38 hours a week, working Wednesdays – Sundays.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage Knockdown Center’s gallery space during public hours.
- Turn exhibition on and off, perform general exhibition maintenance as needed.
- Greet visitors and answer inquiries from public.
Exhibition and Program Support
Assist Director of Exhibitions and Live Arts to administer exhibition and programs
- Assist with creating and formatting checklists and other exhibition related print materials.
- Request, track, and organize loan forms from artists and curators.
- Create Gallery On-Off Guide.
- Design and order exhibition vinyl
- Draft artist and curator contracts
- Maintain and update exhibition and program related invoices and files
- Assist with installation as needed.
- Administer and maintain Temporary Allegiance flag open call program.
- Assist with bi-annual open call administration and dissemination.
- Assist with producing, gathering, and compiling information for bi-annual Curatorial Advisory Board meetings.
- Research and draft exhibition-related materials as necessary.
- Exhibition production support as necessary
Assist Marketing Manager with a range of marketing responsibilities
- Work with Marketing Manager to implement social media plans and email blasts for Exhibitions and Programs
- Update events board and flyers around the venue
- Log and archive arts press
- Exhibition and event photography
- Design flyers
Accounting and Events/Operations Support
Assist Accounting Manager and Events Coordinator with a range of tasks
- Filing, answering phones, inventory of office supplies.
- Credit card chargebacks, data entry, and filing.
- Receiving and verifying orders as needed
- Organize and manage lost and found inquiries and pick ups
- Update and maintain event databases
- Give building tours
- Venue image organization, tagging, and upkeep
Given the fast-paced and creative environment of Knockdown Center, and the fact that we are a very small team doing big things, interested candidates should possess the ability to work collaboratively, be comfortable working outside the exact scope of their role when necessary, work proactively, and have a sense of humor. Knockdown Center is a non-traditional venue, and events vary widely across all types of performance, music, parties, and community and cultural happenings. Candidates should be excited about the wide range of possibilities, and have the ability to be versatile in their approach to each event.
To apply, please send a cover letter that describes your relevant experience and why you are interested in working at Knockdown Center, along with your resume and two references to email@example.com, with “Application: Programs Assistant ” in the subject line.