Built in 1903, Knockdown Center is a 50,000 sq. ft. restored factory uniquely situated on a gated three acre lot. A labyrinthine arrangement of brick, steel and heavy timber with ceiling heights reaching over 40 ft. and adjoining rooms ranging from intimate to epic scales.
Knockdown Center takes its name from the Knock-Down Door Buck, or K-D door frame, that was invented on-site by Samuel Sklar in 1956. A simple modification to the accepted one piece door frame, Sklar’s three piece frame could be shipped in pieces – or “knocked down” – and easily slipped over an existing wall. Eliminating the need for doors to be installed before walls were built, the K-D door frame revolutionized the building industry and drove manufacturing at Knockdown for three generations.
The Knockdown Center is located at 52-19 Flushing Ave, Maspeth, NY 11378.